Thursday, May 17, 2012

Rollin' Along

All is well in Arnytown.  Will is healthy and happy.  He is just rolling along.  Rolling is Will's primary mode of transportation.  When he wants to go somewhere - like across the room, he rolls and rolls and rolls.  A boy has got to do what a boy has got to do to get what he "needs".   Thanks for your continued prayers.  Please continue to pray for Will as he works in therapy and continues to work on developing age appropriate skills.

Sunday, April 22, 2012


Will is just full of smiles and giggles!  The new medicine has made a huge difference.  The doctors think that the stroke he had following his open heart surgery damaged the part of the brain that told his stomach to empty.  So, since his stomach was not emptying properly, the only place left for the contents to go was up and out!  This new medicine helps his stomach to empty properly and what a difference! 

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Running for Ronald

Anyone who has followed Will's journey over the last year and a half knows how important the Ronald McDonald House is to our family.  Ronald McDonald House has given us so much that we wanted to try to give just a little bit back.  This year, Aunt Wendy (that's me) has committed to running the Chicago Marathon in honor of Will to support the Ronald McDonald House.  If you would like to donate to this incredible organization, see the link below.  All of the donations go directly to Ronald McDonald House and are tax deductible.  Thank you!

Wendy Mitchell Fundraising Page - 2012 Chicago Marathon - General Donation

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Will is back home. So far, the new medicine seems to be making quite a difference. Praying this takes care of things for now.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012


The doctors at Bronson are trying to treat Will with some new medicine. So far, it seems to be helping. A hernia was seen on the upper GI at the site of the nissen procedure that was done a year ago, but the doctors do not feel it is significant enough to be addressed surgically. Will also had a double ear infection which was the likely cause of his fever. He will be seeing an ENT doctor in the near future to discuss the possibility of tubes. If all continues to go well and this new medicine seems to do the trick, Will should be home tomorrow.

Thanks for all your prayers!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Rough Time

Will is back at Bronson. He is not able to keep anything down and is running a fever. The GI Dr. wants Will admitted so they can try to figure out what is going on. Please keep Will and his family in your prayers. Pray for wisdom for the Doctors. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Doin' Good and Some Exciting News!

Will is home and doing pretty good. He is recovering from all his respiratory junk but still is not eating any food by mouth. He is getting his nutrition and fluids through his G-tube, but he has not had any other food since he got sick because what went down did come up! So, hopefully, he will be able to get back to a normal feeding routine soon.

And for the exciting news - Nana is planning to take the whole family to Disney World next year! So, Nana, kids, inlaws, outlaws and any other stragglers we pick up along the way are looking forward to some quality time with Mickey next year. The cousins are very excited about taking the "little guys" on a Disney adventure. We are all praying Will stays healthy and continues to get stronger.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Home and Back Again

Well, Will has been home and now is back at Bronson. Connie and Al picked Nana up at the airport on Saturday in Grand Rapids and had to go straight from there to Bronson with Will. He is having some respiratory problems and is just a sick 'lil baby. He is still at Bronson and will be for at least a few more days. They are still waiting on RSV test results. Will is getting fluids and regular breathing treatments as well as antibiotics for a double ear infection. Today is a pretty rough day. The doctor did tell them that if it is RSV, the 4th or 5th day is the worst. So, he seems to be following that pattern. He is also having trouble keeping his feeds down. Since he still has a g-tube, they will start slow, continuous feeds and see if that helps him to keep the food down.

So, welcome home Nana! So glad you are here to help out!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just Hangin' Out

Will is just hanging out at Bronson. So far, the lab work has been good. They are still waiting on a few more tests, but nothing more to report at this time.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Poor 'Lil Guy!

Well, Will is on his way to Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo. He has been fighting a stomach bug of some sort for the last 5 days and just can't seem to get rid of it. So, his pediatrician sent him to the ER at Lakeview Hospital in Paw Paw and the ER at Lakeview has decided to send him on to Bronson. Right now, Will is waiting for his ride to Bronson. (He had an IV started at Lakeview and because of the IV, they have to transport him by ambulance). So, that is all I know at this time. Hopefully, once he gets to Bronson and has some preliminary evaluations, blood work and tests, we will know more and can post an update at that time.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

God is Sooooooo Good!

The 'lil man is finished with his procedure and the results are excellent! What they saw on the echo that they initially thought was an aneurism was just a shadow. During the cath procedure they were able to take some measurements of the aorta and the results were better than what he measured back in May right after his angioplasty. That means that as Will is growing, his aorta is growing with him. There is still a gradient difference, but the doctors said he could have that the rest of his life and is not a cause for any concern at this point. They did not do an angioplasty during the procedure since they saw no reason to. We are so very grateful for doctors that are thorough and caring! Will will be in recovery for a few more hours so they can monitor the entry sites on his leg and then he will be staying with Connie and Al overnight in Ann Arbor before they head home in the morning.

Thank you so much for all your prayers! We are in complete awe of God's goodness and love and so very thankful for all the love and support from each of you.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Heading back to Ann Arbor

The 'lil man packs up today and heads back to Ann Arbor. Will checks in to the cath lab tomorrow morning at 9am for his procedure. Please pray for protection over Will during the procedure. Pray for wisdom for the new doctors who will be working with Will. Pray for Connie and Al that they will have peace during the procedure and also discernment in the decisions that lie ahead.

Thanking God for each one of you! There are only one set of footprints in the sand.

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Few More Details

Will's echo showed that blood is pooling in an area of the aorta. The doctor's initial thoughts are that it appears to be an aneurysm. However, further testing is needed to determine this. The procedure on Thursday will be a heart catheterization to confirm the presence of an aortic aneurysm. Based on the outcome of that test, decisions will be made as to what is the next step. If an aneurysm is present, they may elect to monitor it or it may be determined that treatment is needed in the near term. Treatment would likely involve placing a stint in the aorta. Will is also showing other signs of decreased blood flow. So, there is definitely something going on. Right now, the doctors need to determine exactly what that is. We really will not know much more than this until after the procedure on Thursday. Will is scheduled to report to the cath lab at U of M at 9am on Thursday. Will will be working with a new team of doctors. His regular cardiologist at U of M is moving to San Diego. The cardiologist that did Will's angioplasty in May, 2011, is on a 2 week rotation in the ICU so she is not available to do the procedure on Thursday. While we were hoping to work with Will's "regular" cardiology team, we are viewing this as an opportunity to get 2nd opinions from highly skilled pediatric cardiologists and surgeons.
Please pray with us for Will's health, wisdom for the new doctors that will be taking over Will's case and peace for Connie, Al and the girls. It is going to be a long week for all of them.

Did not get good news today

Today was a tough day at U of M. The cardiologist at U of M thinks that Will has an aneurysm on his aorta. Right now, they are planning to do surgery on Thursday, Jan 19. I am not sure of all the details and exactly what will be done during this surgery. We also think a second surgery will be needed to fully correct the aneurysm. Needless to say, Connie and Al were completely shocked by this news and are just now getting their thoughts collected so they can ask clarifying questions to better understand the situation and the treatment course the doctors are planning to pursue. We will be sure to update with more detailed information as soon as we better know what is going on.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Time for a Check-up

On Monday, Will has his one year check-up at U of M in Ann Arbor. It is so hard to believe it has been a year already! Will is doing really well. He is eating solid foods by mouth and he is continuing to get physical therapy and occupational therapy to help with some of the delays that are a result of his heart surgery. We'll have a more complete update for you after his appointments at U of M.